My mom makes the best chicken tortilla soup, and I remember always looking forward to soup night. The best part? Pouring the hot soup over a pile of tortilla chips and cheese, which gives this soup serious substance and the power to convert even the most adamant soup hater.
In true Katrina fashion, I had to mess around with the recipe (sorry Mom) and absolutely had to add beer. The original was great, but it was time to make my own version! This is now make in the instant pot instead of on the stove, and has more veggies plus some enchilada sauce that gives it some extra zest! Oh and beer. Did I mention beer?
2 chicken breasts
4C low sodium chicken broth (1 carton)
3 cloves chopped garlic
1/4-1/2 can light beer
1 14 oz can enchilada sauce
1 14 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
1 14 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 bag frozen corn
1 bag frozen bell pepper medley
1 white onion (or a bag of frozen)
4 oz can green chiles
Cotija or Mexican cheese blend
- Sauté the onion and bell pepper in olive oil in the instant pot.
- Pour in beer, stirring to deglaze, making sure nothing is stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Add chicken broth, green chiles, black beans, enchilada sauce, and chicken in and give it a good stir.
- Put the lid on and pressure cook for 10 minutes.
- Once done, naturally release for 5 minutes, then quick release.
- Pull out the chicken, chop or shred it and then add back into the pot, stirring it in.
- Place a handful of chips with a hearty sprinkle of cheese in the bottom of each bowl, then ladle the soup on top.
- Garnish with cilantro, sour cream, avocado or whatever tickles your fancy!
*This can be done in the crockpot on low for 8 hours or on the stove top with 20-30 minutes of simmer time- just make sure you cook the chicken first if you do stovetop. I personally think it tastes best out of the instant pot due to the ability for the flavors to meld, however it’s great any of the three ways.
2 thoughts on “Mom’s Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup”
Absolutely delicious! I used two fresh bell peppers. So easy, too! Thanks for the recipe!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Yay I’m so glad you liked it!!!