Say that 3 times fast, would ya? Now that I’m roasting my spaghetti squash over the weekend, I have a lot more time to play around with what actually goes WITH it when we eat it – and I’ve also been trying to get creative on how to reheat the squash without it getting watery (I’m talking to you microwave). This recipe is so kid friendly that my “cheesetarian” 3 year old will actually eat it. And trust me, that’s saying a lot.
Roasted spaghetti squash halves can last for a few days in the fridge, so go ahead and meal prep this one! Typically if I have time I’ll prep the meat and veggies early too so I literally just have to come home and assemble. Seriously. All you have to do is come home from work, grab it all out of the fridge, pull the insides into a bowl, mix in your meat and whatever roasted veggies and cheese you may or may not want to add, plop it all back in to the shell, cover with cheese, and throw into the oven until it’s warmed up. It is THAT EASY! If you don’t want to make it in the skin this also works perfectly well in a 9×13.
Servings: 4-6 depending on squash size
Hands on Time: 30 min
Total Time: 1 hour
Meal prepped hands on time: 5 minutes
Meal prepped total time: 30 minutes
1 lb ground beef
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1.5 C shredded mozzarella cheese
1 C shredded parmesan cheese
1 tsp chopped garlic
2 T olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Roasting Spaghetti Squash-
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Poke spaghetti squash all over with a fork (like you would a baked potato) and microwave for 5 minutes. This will make it SO much easier to cut through and not take as long to roast.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half along the length, and scoop out the seeds.
- Rub 1 T olive oil on edges and in interior and then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place flat side down on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until the skin feels slightly soft when you poke with a fork.
- If saving to use for later, just wrap in the foil you used to line the pan and pop in the fridge once it’s cooled.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Brown beef, drain and set aside.
- Add 1T olive oil to medium size pan, add garlic until aromatic, then add and sauté mushrooms and and green pepper.
- Using a fork, scrape innards out of the skin into a large bowl, being mindful to not break the skin.
- Add beef, 1/2 C mozzarella cheese, sautéed veggies and spaghetti sauce into bowl with spaghetti squash, mixing thoroughly.
- Divide mixture into each of the spaghetti squash skins, then top with remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes or until warmed through.
- Scoop out and serve!