Whelp, in true Colorado fashion the weather went from 70 degrees to 20 overnight. It’s snowing……and I need some chili stat. Luckily I had some precooked sweet potatoes and chicken thighs, and a leftover half can of pumpkin puree. Aha! Pumpkin chicken chili! I’d really like to say this was totally planned since it’s the perfect meal for a snowy day on Halloween week, but I don’t deserve the credit.
This chili was so flavorful thanks to all the spices, and thicker than I had expected thanks to the addition of the potatoes and pumpkin puree. If you want yours to be even thicker, you can go ahead and mash the potatoes prior to adding them to the pot. I have the recipe set up to cook the chicken on your own and use frozen sweet potatoes, but if you meal prep you should absolutely pre roast both of those in avocado oil with some garlic powder and salt. It’s easier and adds more flavor.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Hands on Time: 15 minutes
1 large white onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, diced
1 T coconut oil
1 bag frozen chopped sweet potato
1 T chopped garlic
1.5 lbs chicken thighs, chopped
1 C pumpkin puree
4 C chicken bone broth
3 T lime juice
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs oregano
1t onion powder
1 t salt
7 pieces cooked bacon, chopped
1t garlic powder
1 can coconut cream
1/2 C diced green onion for garnish
- Heat a large pot on high heat and add coconut oil. When oil is melted add onion, garlic and celery. Sauté until onion is translucent and garlic fragrant.
- Push onion and celery to the side of the pot and add chopped chicken. Cook until done and slightly browned.
- Add lime juice, bay leaves, oregano, onion powder, salt, cinnamon and garlic powder, then toss to coat the mixture.
- Add box of chicken stock and pumpkin puree; bring to a boil.
- While you wait for the chili to boil, steam your sweet potatoes and cook your bacon if you haven’t already.
- Reduce heat to low and add in coconut cream, steamed sweet potatoes and bacon. Stir to allow the cream to melt, then let simmer for 5-10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Top with green onion and more bacon and serve.